Thursday, March 21, 2013

Crown Princess Mary's wedding tiara

Another dull day, another sparkling tiara to make it a little less dull. Or, should I say, another Danish tiara to make it less dull.

Today's juicy gem is Crown Princess Mary's wedding tiara.

Mary Elizabeth Donaldson on her wedding day

This morning I want to do something more simple because I'm still working on a bunch of other posts, and I just want to get this one out of the way.

On May 5, 2005, Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik wed Australian native Miss Mary Donaldson in a lavish ceremony. To mark the special occasion, Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik presented Mary with a tiara that was most likely purchased at an auction. The tiara is small, and was made with all diamonds. Along with the tiara, Mary also wore a pair of platinum earrings with brilliant-cut diamonds and South Sea pearls created by Danish jeweler Marianne Dulong, a favorite of the Crown Princess.

The diamond-and-pearl earrings

Around 2011 or 2012 (I can't remember), Marianne Dulong added pearls to Mary's tiara: a row on the bottom and on the tops of every other spike. The pearls can be added and taken off whenever Mary wishes to wear it that way. At least, that's my assumption, but ever since the pearls were added we've only seen her wear the tiara with them.

The tiara with the pearls
A closer view of Mary wearing the tiara

The tiara can also be worn as a necklace, which we've only seen Mary wear once.

Mary wearing the tiara as a necklace

I think I like the tiara better with the pearls. I think it looks particularly nice with her pearl-and-aquamarine choker and her aquamarine chandelier earrings.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything else about this tiara; any new information would be greatly appreciated!
 
What do you think of this tiara? Leave your thoughts in a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment